Those new to the club and a number of the newer members may not be aware of the club history and its origins.
Between the year 1906 and 1919 there were three clubs for motor boaters, Scottish Marine Motor Club, Clyde Motor Boat Club and Clyde Motor Yacht Club.
In 1906, Robert Gibson was appointed Secretary of the Scottish Marine Motor Club. During the 1914-1918 War years, Commander Robert Gibson, who would later become RSMYC club secretary, became commander in charge of club boats and a fleet of fishing vessels. Under Admiralty command patrols were organised covering the areas Tyne to Shetland and the West Coast of Scotland. He was offered a decoration for his services which he turned down in favour of the club being given the Royal Warrant for its services during the war.
In 1919 the three clubs joined together to form the Scottish Motor Yacht Club. With the granting of the Royal Warrant and addition of the Crown to the Burgee the Royal Scottish Motor Yacht Club come into being. In addition members were allowed to fly the Blue Ensign having completed the necessary paperwork.
Lord Inverclyde was the first Honorary Commodore and it is interesting to note his boat, named Beryl, was a 472 ton Steam Yacht. Before and after the 1914-1918 war the clubs main activity was racing. Races from Hunters Quay round Ailsa Craig and back for example, with boats from 25 to 50 feet taking part and short courses in the upper Clyde. In 1920 one memorable race was from Hunters Quay to Cultra Bay in Belfast Loch with a winning time of 11 hours and 45 minutes.
The Royal warrant was granted to the Club in 1920 in recognition of the services provided by members and their boats during the war.
In 1936, the Board of Trade issued a list of 33 Yacht Clubs which had been recognised by them. Registration was granted only to Clubs of some standing and the RSMYC was included in the list.
During the Second World War, many club boats were again requisitioned by the Admiralty, especially those that were bigger and more serviceable. Owners and crewmen voluntarily enlisted to go with the boats into active service. Sadly many of the club boats were lost in service.
When boating activities started after the war, they were curtailed because of fuel rationing. The first race for 10 years took place on the 9th of July 1949. this was a cruise round the island of Bute for the Gilbertson Trophy. The distance was 34 miles and as proof of excellent handicapping the three prize-winners were covered at the end of the race, by only 80 seconds.The winning yacht was Maori, a 46 ton vessel built at Old Kilpatrick in 1925 and powered by twin Gardner diesels.
Competition for the club trophies are now for navigation, boat handling, man overboard drills and logs of cruises long and short.
In 1959 the first muster of the year was held at Ormidale, members were encouraged to bring family and friends to participate in the activities ashore. One of the best activities for the children was gathering wood, lighting fires, and cooking potatoes and the fish they had caught. The fires also helped greatly to keep away the midges. This format and anchoring at various places in the Clyde area was the norm for musters until the advent of marinas.
Over the years and despite the disruption of two World Wars in which many club boats were involved, there has been a steady development in the various activities of the Club.
The RSMYC has indeed been fortunate to have within its membership so many enthusiasts who have given so much of there time and energy to further the sport and the well being of the Club. Friendship and comradeship are just as important today as was evidenced in the past.